[Arabidopsis] Re: Barcode/tracking system for seeds, plants

ims via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by imtechnology from gmail.com)
Mon Feb 4 17:36:32 EST 2008

On Feb 1, 11:54 am, Michael Steinwand <msteinw... from pw.usda.gov> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am seeking advice about any software that can be used for creating
> and tracking seeds, plant specimens etc using a barcoding system. Our
> lab will have a large population of Brachypodium, and we'd like to
> figure out a way to improve our cataloging/tracking system before
> we're flooded with samples. I'm really interested in using software
> that can print sample-specific labels in various sizes and can also
> be used with a mobile scanning unit like a PDA. I've done some
> research and found asset tracking software like that fromwww.redbeam.comand label-making software like Bar Tender, but I'm
> wondering if there are better options that other labs use to track
> seeds, etc. Any ideas or helpful tips on barcoding?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Steinwand
>
> USDA ARS
> 800 Buchanan St.
> Albany, CA 94710

Hi Michael!

I started a website for pretty much this reason and also to keep track
of our oligos glycerols and chemicals!!! Its located here:
http://www.yourlabdata.com

It's a work in progress but it's already quite functional although i
haven't added the barcode functionality for seeds, and other items,
yet but it is on my to do list (that's the trouble when you are doing
a PhD you're always strapped for time). I will also be introducing a
backup system shortly as well so that the lab group owner is emailed a
backup of all of their database content on a weekly basis... just have
a few kinks to work out.

Anyway have a look... our lab is using it very successfully to keep
track of our oligos and a number of other labs are now using it as
well.

I would be interested in hearing about improvements I could make to
the system so please don't hesitate to let me know.
(if you find a bug or have a suggestion you should post it in this
forum... http://www.yourlabdata.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=29&func=showcat&catid=17)

Cheers,

Edwin.