[Arabidopsis] Re: Barcode/tracking system for seeds, plants

ims via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by imtechnology from gmail.com)
Tue Feb 5 16:58:46 EST 2008

On Feb 5, 9:36 am, ims <imtechnol... from gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 11:54 am, Michael Steinwand <msteinw... from pw.usda.gov> wrote:
>

> > Hi All,
>
> > I am seeking advice about any software that can be used for creating
> > and tracking seeds, plant specimens etc using a barcoding system. Our
> > lab will have a large population of Brachypodium, and we'd like to
> > figure out a way to improve our cataloging/tracking system before
> > we're flooded with samples. I'm really interested in using software
> > that can print sample-specific labels in various sizes and can also
> > be used with a mobile scanning unit like a PDA. I've done some
> > research and found asset tracking software like that fromwww.redbeam.comandlabel-making software like Bar Tender, but I'm
> > wondering if there are better options that other labs use to track
> > seeds, etc. Any ideas or helpful tips on barcoding?
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Michael Steinwand
>
> > USDA ARS
> > 800 Buchanan St.
> > Albany, CA 94710
>
> Hi Michael!
>
> I started a website for pretty much this reason and also to keep track
> of our oligos glycerols and chemicals!!! Its located here:http://www.yourlabdata.com
>
> It's a work in progress but it's already quite functional although i
> haven't added the barcode functionality for seeds, and other items,
> yet but it is on my to do list (that's the trouble when you are doing
> a PhD you're always strapped for time). I will also be introducing a
> backup system shortly as well so that the lab group owner is emailed a
> backup of all of their database content on a weekly basis... just have
> a few kinks to work out.
>
> Anyway have a look... our lab is using it very successfully to keep
> track of our oligos and a number of other labs are now using it as
> well.
>
> I would be interested in hearing about improvements I could make to
> the system so please don't hesitate to let me know.
> (if you find a bug or have a suggestion you should post it in this
> forum...http://www.yourlabdata.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=29&f...)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Edwin.

I should probably add that I am aware that there are some small
problems in internet explorer 6 so if you are using this browser you
will need to upgrade to version 7... which you really should do for
safety reasons or use firefox!

Cheers,

Edwin.