[Arabidopsis] Barcode software information

Michael Steinwand via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by msteinwand from pw.usda.gov)
Fri Feb 8 13:17:49 EST 2008

Hello everyone,

Last week I sent an e-mail about suggestions for software for a
barcoding system for our project, specifically to help track and
catalog plants, stems and seeds. I've received requests for me to
share any suggestions that I received.

One of the software systems recommended to me by several people is
LabCollector, which can be found at
<http://www.labcollector.com/>www.labcollector.com  This program
operates in an Internet browser, like Explorer, and has a number of
different categories for items, including antibodies, sequences and
samples.  The program allows you to print barcodes for samples, and
that information can be imported from text files (You can't import
right from Excel, the software needs delimited data).  LabCollector
prints labels one at a time, so I think you'll need a barcode printer
as well. The company offers a PDA barcode scanner, so this is mobile
software that can be used outside the lab, if needed. The link has a
free 30-day demo.

Another program that I have heard of but not really used is Bar
Tender, which is software that can be used to make very versatile
labels. Information for labels can be imported from Excel, but I
don't believe that it has any ability to maintain a database. It
offers a large variety of barcode fonts and possible label designs.
More information can be found at
<http://www.seagullscientific.com/aspx/btw_down.aspx>http://www.seagullscientific.com/aspx/btw_down.aspx.

For information on databases that can be used for tracking plants and
seeds, although they are currently without a barcode feature, see
<http://www.plantmethods.com/content/4/1/1/abstract>http://www.plantmethods.com/content/4/1/1/abstract
and <http://www.yourlabdata.com/>http://www.yourlabdata.com.

Thank you to those who responded and I'm still seeking suggestions,
so please let me know if you come across anything.

Thanks,

Michael

USDA ARS
800 Buchanan St