[Arabidopsis] brands of agar

Forde, Brian via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by b.g.forde from lancaster.ac.uk)
Mon Feb 11 05:04:43 EST 2008

Hi Tanya

For the last 15 years or so we have been routinely studying Arabidopsis
root growth and branching on vertical 'agar' plates, for up to two weeks
after germination. We have used 0.8% agar-agar in the past with
reasonable results, but found that batches were variable and sometimes
root growth would be inhibited. We now choose to use PhytagelTM, which
is purer and gives a clearer gel, and we have had no problems with
different batches (note that you have to make sure that the divalent
cation concentration in the medium is at least 2 mM, otherwise it won't
set!).

As an important aside, I would strongly recommend that you *don't* use
MS (or even 1/2 MS) for anything other than tissue culture or antibiotic
selection. It is an extremely rich medium with non-physiological N
concentrations that far exceed anything that plants are ever likely to
have experienced in nature (40 mM nitrate + 20 mM ammonium)and root
growth in this medium is also very slow. We use a dilute form of B5
medium that allows much faster root growth. We have done direct
comparisons with Ler and Col-0 growing in MS, 1/2 MS and in our modified
B5 medium at different rates of N supply and found that all growth
parameters (lateral roots, primary roots, shoots) are faster on the
modified B5 medium. The modified B5 medium also allows you to vary
individual components of the nutrient supply without creating severe
nutrient imbalances that cause plant stress. The composition of our
medium was originally published in Zhang & Forde (1998) Science 279,
407-409, but I can give you more details if you wish to email me.

Good luck!

Brian

=====================================
Brian G. Forde
Prof. of Environmental Plant Biotechnology
Department of Biological Sciences
Lancaster Environment Centre
Lancaster University
Bailrigg