[Arabidopsis] control aphid in growth chamber

Ben Holt via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by benholt from ou.edu)
Thu Jan 3 09:44:40 EST 2008

Hi Chiang,

You need to control the aphids in the chamber first and then repeat
the plantings for the fungal infection experiment. Obtaining accurate
pathogen treatment experimental results is heavily dependent on the
quality of the plants - and plants that have already been hit by a
pathogen are definitely on the don't use list. The various defense
signaling pathways either use the same components or have a fair
amount of crosstalk.

As far as the aphids go, we find that Marathon in the soil combined
with clean chambers that receive a really good yearly sterilizing
takes care of most issues. Also, don't move between less sterile
greenhouse work and clean chamber work - once you are in the
greenhouse, the chambers should be off limits for the rest of the
day. Once you have an infestation, the best course of action is to
completely clear out the chamber, clean it top to bottom, and start
fresh with new soil and new plants. Sprayed pesticides can be useful.
Nevertheless, if you have to use them regularly in your chambers, you
need to address the larger cleanliness issue.

Good Luck,
Ben Holt

On Dec 28, 2007, at 7:35 PM, y Chiang wrote:

> hi, At resarchers,
>
> I found some aphids on my plants in the growth chamber. These
> plants are for fungal disease study and so I want to know which
> pesticide should be used to kill the aphids while does not have
> negative effect on fungal invasion? I have End-all and Orthene in
> hand, but do not know if it is safe to use either of them.
> I know the best way to control the aphids is to sterilize the
> growth chamber using bleach or pesticide before planting new plants.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Chiang

========
Ben Holt