[Arabidopsis] control aphid in growth chamber

Brian Kwan via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by Brian.Kwan from arborgen.co.nz)
Thu Jan 3 19:58:28 EST 2008

Hanging a pest strip, of the sort used for home cupboards, in a growth chamber kills the aphids with a minimum of disturbance to the plants. We found that Arabidopsis responded poorly to a number of insecticides, possibly due to the sticky residue left on the plants (wetting agents?), and for greenhouse plants we ended up using a pyrethrum spray from an aerosol can.

Regards Brian

On Dec 28, 2007, at 7:35 PM, y Chiang wrote:

> hi, At resarchers,
>
> I found some aphids on my plants in the growth chamber. These
> plants are for fungal disease study and so I want to know which
> pesticide should be used to kill the aphids while does not have
> negative effect on fungal invasion? I have End-all and Orthene in
> hand, but do not know if it is safe to use either of them.
> I know the best way to control the aphids is to sterilize the
> growth chamber using bleach or pesticide before planting new plants.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Chiang

========
Ben Holt