[Arabidopsis] Barcode/tracking system for seeds, plants

Michael Steinwand via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by msteinwand from pw.usda.gov)
Thu Jan 31 19:54:49 EST 2008

Hi All,

I am seeking advice about any software that can be used for creating
and tracking seeds, plant specimens etc using a barcoding system. Our
lab will have a large population of Brachypodium, and we'd like to
figure out a way to improve our cataloging/tracking system before
we're flooded with samples. I'm really interested in using software
that can print sample-specific labels in various sizes and can also
be used with a mobile scanning unit like a PDA. I've done some
research and found asset tracking software like that from
www.redbeam.com and label-making software like Bar Tender, but I'm
wondering if there are better options that other labs use to track
seeds, etc. Any ideas or helpful tips on barcoding?

Thanks,

Michael Steinwand

USDA ARS
800 Buchanan St.