[Arabidopsis] Re: Quantification of chlorophyll

Edwin J. Reidel via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by ejr24 from cornell.edu)
Tue Mar 4 13:58:06 EST 2008

Dear Nicholas,

I recently needed to quantify chlorophylls and found that most
researchers continue to use the original method of Arnon (Arnon, D.I.
(1949) Plant Physiol. 24, 1–15).  However, subsequent studies indicate
inaccuracies in his extinction coefficients.

I decided to use the highly-cited method of Porra et al. (Biochimica et
Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Bioenergetics. Volume 975, Issue 3, August 1989,
Pages 384-394).  The equations also appear in a review by Porra
(PHOTOSYNTHESIS RESEARCH   Volume: 73   Issue: 1-3   Pages: 149-156).

They present updated equations for quantifying chlorophyll a, b, and a +
b in three solvents:  buffered aqueous 80% acetone, DMF, and methanol.
I chose 80% acetone.

Best regards,

Edwin Reidel
Postdoctoral Research Associate