[Arabidopsis] Help for outreach project - Plant Science and Biotechnology Education Program

Rodrigo A. Gutierrez via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by rgutierrez from bio.puc.cl)
Mon Mar 24 16:04:13 EST 2008

Dear friends and colleagues,

We are currently leading a science education project in Chile. Our goal is
to promote a better understanding and appreciation of plants and their
biotechnological uses. Our program is oriented towards the entire community,
with a special focus on high school students.

For this project we need Arabidopsis lines with dramatic visual phenotypes
metals, or any other biotic/abiotic stress treatment that can produce clear
visual phenotypes. We have searched the ABRC stocks but have found a very
limited number of lines meeting this criteria. Also, we would greatly
appreciate direct input from the experts to maximize the phenotypes in each
line.

The goal of our outreach project is to develop a permanent exhibition at The
Science and Technology Museum in Santiago, Chile. One of the sections we
plan on developing is an exhibition showing Arabidopsis genotypes grown
under different environmental conditions. This section has several purposes:
1) Introduction of Arabidopsis and the importance of a model system for
research. 2) Introduction of concepts such as phenotypes and their
alteration by genetic modification. 3) Creation of a "research computer
game" on-line using these plants. We hope this game will introduce children
to scientific research and biotechnology even in remote areas (with access
to internet). We will acknowledge in our exhibit everybody's help by means
of their names, institutions and granting agency that funded the production
of the material.

We ask for seeds that are tolerant or resistant to environmental conditions,
and with phenotypes that can be easily visualized under the appropriate
conditions. These plants will be used solely for the stated educational
purposes, and will not be used for research or for biotechnological
applications. We would be happy to provide additional details about our
outreach project if necessary.

Please send your seeds with instructions for growth and stress treatments
to:

Dr. Rodrigo A. Gutierrez

Profesor Asistente

Departamento de Genética Molecular y Microbiología.

Facultad de Ciencias Biológicas

Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile.

Avda. Libertador Bernardo O'Higgins 340.

Santiago. 8331010.

Chile

Thank you very much in advance for your support.

Dr. Rodrigo A. Gutierrez

Assistant Professor

Department of Molecular Genetics & Microbiology

P. Universidad Catolica de Chile.

Alameda 340. Santiago. 8331010. Chile

P: (56-2) 686-2663 | F: (56-2) 222-5515

rgutierrez from bio.puc.cl