[Arabidopsis] Plant Biochemist/Molecular Biologist Tenure track Assistant Professor position at UMass Amherst

Jennifer Normanly via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by normanly from biochem.umass.edu)
Fri Dec 18 17:20:13 EST 2009

Dear colleagues,

I am writing to inform you of a faculty search for a plant biochemist/
molecular biologist (tenure track Assistant Professor) in the
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at UMass Amherst.
The advertisement for the position, which will appear in Science, is
appended below this message.  We are particularly interested in
recruiting a plant biochemist who will complement the research
strengths of the department and who will contribute to campus
initiatives in biofuels research.  Massachusetts and the UMass campus
are making significant investments to expand the life sciences on
campus, including two new laboratory science buildings that will be
completed in the next two years.    The faculty member would join a
highly active and growing life science community that offers numerous
opportunities for collaborative interactions.  The Plant Biology
Program (http://www.bio.umass.edu/plantbio/ ) at UMass consists of an
interactive group of faculty from five departments with interests in
all aspects of plant science.   The group has been steadily growing
over the past several years, and we are now the largest plant biology
program in New England.  In addition, faculty also have the
opportunity to interact with the larger life sciences community
through the Molecular and Cellular Biology Program (http://www.bio.umass.edu/mcb/
), a larger graduate program that includes all molecular life
scientists at UMass and the surrounding five college network.

The UMass campus is actively involved in energy research through
several interdisciplinary efforts, including the Massachusetts
Institute for Biofuels Research (http://www.ecs.umass.edu/timbr/index.html
  ), which brings together plant biologists, microbiologists, and
chemical and process engineers to address fundamental problems in
biofuels research.  Recently, a group of eight investigators formed
the Brachypodium Consortium (http://www.bio.umass.edu/brachypodium/),
a group of plant biologists and microbiologists who use brachypodium
as a model for feedstock development.  As such, we are at the
forefront of research to develop this new model system to address
problems specific to the grasses.

We would greatly appreciate your assistance in identifying individuals
that would be interested in applying for the position.  The UMass
campus and the surrounding valley offer a rich academic environment,
and we are committed to supporting our new faculty with competitive
start up packages and mentoring programs.  Feel free to distribute the
advertisement to postdocs and colleagues.  If you would like more
information, please contact me (normanly from biochem.umass.edu).

Regards,
Jennifer
The Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology invites
applications from Ph.D.-level scientists for a tenure-track position
at the level of ASSISTANT PROFESSOR. We seek candidates working in
areas of plant biochemistry and molecular biology that complement
existing Departmental and campus strengths in cellular biochemistry,
including signal transduction, membrane biology, metabolism, gene
expression and regulation, and cytoskeletal organization.  The
position is one of several on campus to expand an existing cluster
focused on biofuels and renewable energy research. We are particularly
interested in candidates that complement ongoing programs within The
Institute of Massachusetts Biofuels Research (TIMBR), an
interdisciplinary group of biologists, chemists and engineers focused
on renewable energy.  The successful candidate will have access to
students from several interdepartmental graduate programs and will
participate in teaching at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
  The Five College Consortium, comprised of Smith College, Amherst
College, Mount Holyoke College, Hampshire College, and the University
of Massachusetts Amherst, provides a rich academic and intellectual
environment. The Department is strongly committed to increasing the
diversity of the faculty, student body, and curriculum.
  Applicants should send curriculum vitae, a description of research
interests, and three letters of recommendation to: Prof. Jennifer
Normanly at pbsearch from biochem.umass.edu or Biofuels/Renewable Energy
Search, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, LGRT 913, 710 N. Pleasant
St., University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003.  Review of
applications will begin January 15, 2010 and continue until the
position is filled.

The University of Massachusetts is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer.  Women and members of minority groups are
encouraged to apply.

Jennifer Normanly
Associate Professor
University of Massachusetts
Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
710 N. Pleasant St. LGRT
Amherst, MA 01003
normanly from biochem.umass.edu
http://www.biochem.umass.edu/normanly/index.html