[Arabidopsis] Wanted info on electrical drill for homogenisation in 1.5 ml tubes

Holt, Ben F. III via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by benholt from ou.edu)
Fri Feb 6 15:57:23 EST 2009

Hi Pedro,

We have had good luck with the Heidolph Overhead Stirrers - they have some pretty fancy models, but we find the stripped down RZR1 model works great for what you want to do. It isn't a keyless chuck, but we do have people that use the plastic pestles all the time and it has tons of torque. I personally prefer to use a stainless steel bit that is cut to the interior shape (bit smaller for buffer and sample) of a 1.5ml Eppendorf tube. For proteins, a quick wipe down is enough between samples. For DNA that will be amplified, we clean the pestle with a kimwipe and water and just make sure we wipe if off while the bit spins with plenty of water and a couple of wipes with clean parts of the kimwipe. Works great.

http://www.brinkmann.com/products/stirrer_OH_mechanical_de.asp

Good luck,
Ben