[Arabidopsis] 100 Questions for Plant Science Research

Claire Grierson, School Biological Sciences via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by Claire.Grierson from bristol.ac.uk)
Fri Feb 13 05:37:45 EST 2009

Dear Colleague,

What are the most important questions in plant science that can be
addressed by the current generation of researchers?

We are collecting suggestions. An expert panel will condense these to a
final list of 100 questions for publication in a peer reviewed journal.

Please go to:
http://www.100plantsciencequestions.org.uk/index.php
to see proposed questions and submit your own.

A selection of questions from the web site is at the end of this email.
Questions are credited or you can choose to be anonymous. We look forward
to seeing your suggestions.

With very best wishes,

Ruth Bastow, Keith Edwards, and Claire Grierson
___________________________
Submitted Questions include:

"How can global yields of stable food crops be substantially increased at
the same time as non-renewable inputs and greenhouse gas emissions are
substantially reduced?"
Ian Crute

"What controls/regulates the total mitochondrial number/mass in a plant
cell during cellular differentiation and development?"
Chris Leaver

"What are the best ways to convince school and university students that
plant science is exciting?"
Helen Ougham

"Is bio-ethanol from plants actually a sustainable agricultural practice?"
Sean May

"How can we use our knowledge of plants to design efficient solar energy
converters?"
Julie Gray

"How do plants integrate different types of information to make a
"decision"?"
Marc Knight

"How can we translate molecular systems biology into food security?"
Anonymous