[Arabidopsis] New version of IGB viewer available for Arabidopsis systems biology, genomics researchers

Loraine, Ann via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by aloraine from uncc.edu)
Tue Jun 16 17:26:58 EST 2009

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that a new version of the Integrated Genome
Browser (IGB, pronounced "ig-bee") is available from http://igb.bioviz.org.

IGB is an open source, freely-available graphical display tool implemented
in Java that supports real-time zooming and panning through a genome;
layout of genomic features and data sets in moveable, adjustable tracks;
incremental or genome-scale data loading from remote Web servers or
local files; and dynamic manipulation of quantitative data via genome
graphs.

Many of you may have been using the version available from the
Affymetrix Web site to view data from Affymetrix tiling arrays.

As of July 2008, my lab has taken on the lead role of supporting
and developing the software for the Arabidopsis research community.
(This work is supported by NSF award 0820371 titled "Arabidopsis 2010:
Visualization Software and Data Server for Arabidopsis.")

Please note that the new version (5.5) available from
http://igb.bioviz.org is very different from the version currently
hosted on the Affymetrix site. The new version includes many bug fixes
as well as a streamlined mechanism for data loading. We are working
with the team at Affymetrix to update their copy of the software,
pending further testing to make sure the IGB 5.5 is still compatible
with their systems.

We have also set up IGB-compatible back end data servers (Bioviz
Quickload and Bioviz DAS2) that support loading sequence and
annotations data from the TAIR8 and January 2004 genome and
annotations releases.

We welcome any feedback about the software, the data, or anything
else. Also, if you are interested in setting up data server sites to
distribute your own data sets via Quickload or DAS, please let us
know. It is not difficult and we would be happy to help if you run
into problems.

Sincerely,

Ann Loraine (PI)
John Nicol (Programming)
Archana Raja (Testing and Documentation)
Steven Blanchard (Systems Administration)

____________________
Ann Loraine
Associate Professor
Department of Bioinformatics and Genomics
University of North Carolina, Charlotte
North Carolina Research Campus
600 Laureate Way
Kannapolis, NC 28083