[Arabidopsis] Optimal germination of older Arabidopsis seeds

Charles S. Gasser via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by csgasser from ucdavis.edu)
Thu May 7 12:14:18 EST 2009

Dear Arabidopsis community,
We have some quite old Arabidopsis seed that appears to have largely
lost viability - i. e. when sown on pots or plates they fail to
germinate even when first stratified.

Does anyone have suggestions for optimal/improved conditions for
germination of such seeds?  Workers on other species have suggested
soaking in a GA solution or scratching the seed (I was thinking this
might be accomplished by shaking them briefly with carborundum
powder).  Does anyone have experience with these or other methods to
allow perhaps weaked survivors to germinate?

Post to the group or e-mail me directly and if I get multiple answers
I will post a summary.
--
Charles S. Gasser

104 Briggs Hall