[Arabidopsis] Optimal germination of older Arabidopsis seeds

Jerry D. Cohen via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by cohen047 from umn.edu)
Thu May 7 12:53:12 EST 2009

I am not sure about the scratching working with older seeds, but here my
colleagues use GA4 to induce germination with Arabidopsis in total
darkness (works better than GA3).  From our work years ago with long
dormant seeds, I would guess that would be your best bet. Regards, Jerry

Charles S. Gasser wrote:
> Dear Arabidopsis community,
> We have some quite old Arabidopsis seed that appears to have largely
> lost viability - i. e. when sown on pots or plates they fail to
> germinate even when first stratified.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions for optimal/improved conditions for
> germination of such seeds?  Workers on other species have suggested
> soaking in a GA solution or scratching the seed (I was thinking this
> might be accomplished by shaking them briefly with carborundum
> powder).  Does anyone have experience with these or other methods to
> allow perhaps weaked survivors to germinate?
>
> Post to the group or e-mail me directly and if I get multiple answers
> I will post a summary.

Dr. Jerry D. Cohen, Professor, Bailey Endowed Chair
University of Minnesota
Department of Horticultural Science
and Microbial and Plant Genomics Institute
1970 Folwell Ave., 305 Alderman Hall
Saint Paul, MN 55108
Phone 612.624.9212; FAX 612.624.4941
Lab phone 612.624.1218
Email cohen047 from tc.umn.edu
Web:
http://horticulture.cfans.umn.edu/Jerry_Cohen.html

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First by reflection, which is noblest; second by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius