[Arabidopsis] PEG8000 use for water deficit

hnbjed via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by hnbjed from yahoo.com)
Mon May 25 02:04:37 EST 2009

Hi colleagues,

I want to use PEG8000 to introduce water deficit stress to Arabidopsis roots. What is the suitable concentration of it to induce mild dehydration stress, eg. in 1/2x MS medium? I do not like high concentration as it may cause plasmolysis (I personally do not like 200 or 300 mM NaCl used by so many Arabidopsis researchers in salt stress study). However, a too low concentration of PEG8000 may have slow effect in a short time. Is there anyone knowing a reasonable concentration of it in hydroponics system of Arabidopsis? I want to harvest the tissue in a few hours (less then half a day). How about 10% or 15%?  Low concentration stimulates root elongation while high concentration won't, according to some references.

Thanks for your input.