[Arabidopsis] Microarray Workshop in Tucson, Arizona

David Galbraith via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by galbraith from arizona.edu)
Thu Sep 17 12:25:04 EST 2009

TENTH INTERNATIONAL LONG-OLIGONUCLEOTIDE
MICROARRAY WORKSHOP

January 3-8, 2010
The University of Arizona
Tucson, Arizona

This workshop will comprise a combination of lectures and hand-on
laboratory sessions. The participants will primarily employ
Arabidopsis and maize (plant side) and human, bovine and
porcine (animal side)  whole genome 70-mer oligonucleotide
microarrays in their laboratory work (for details of the plant arrays see
http://www.ag.arizona.edu/microarray and
http://www.maizearray.org/.

The workshop will be divided into two parts: Part I (Sunday 4PM to
Wednesday 5PM) will cover wet-lab aspects of microarray target
production and amplification, microarray hybridization, and scanning.
Part II (all day, Thursday and Friday) will concentrate on data extraction,
statistical analysis, and experimental design. Together these topics
are aimed at the goal of the participants obtaining optimal results using
oligonucleotide-based microarrays. Part II may be taken separately.

Specific topics to be covered include:

* Experimental design.
* Probe preparation and microarray printing.
* Microarray rehydration and probe immobilization.
* Target preparation, including RNA extraction, direct and indirect
labeling, and amplification techniques.
* Microarray hybridization.
* Array scanning and data extraction.
* Data analysis and archiving.

Registration (Part I plus Part II) is $700, which includes costs of
the microarrays and other supplies that you will use.
Part II registration only is $300. Part I participants will be
limited to 40 on a first-come, first-serve basis. Overall
participation will be limited to 60 individuals.

Note:  There are a number of airline connections from
Tucson to San Diego on Friday evening, allowing
workshop participants convenient access to the Plant
and Animal Genome XVIII Meeting (January 9-13).

For further details and to register, please contact
David Galbraith (galbraith from arizona.edu) or Georgina Lambert
(georgina from cals.arizona.edu)

David W. Galbraith
Professor of Plant Sciences
& Professor, Bio5 Institute