[Arabidopsis] Does Phytagel alter divalent cation concentration in medium?

Tessa Durham Brooks via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by tessa.durhambrooks from doane.edu)
Tue Jul 6 13:36:58 EST 2010

I am looking into using Phytagel for growth of Arabidopsis seedlings on
plates.  Phytagel requires divalent cations in order to solidify.  The sole
divalent cation in the medium I am using is calcium at 1mM.  I am concerned
that the Phytagel may significantly deplete the medium of calcium.  Does
anyone know how much divalent cation is required for Phytagel to solidify?
I will likely use the compound at 0.5-1.0%.

Thanks,

Tessa Durham Brooks

Department of Biology
Doane College