[Arabidopsis] inexpensive Arabidopsis growth shelves?

Olney, Margaret A. via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by MOlney from stmartin.edu)
Fri Mar 26 13:58:05 EST 2010

Dear colleagues,

We would like to set up some shelves for growing Arabidopsis for undergraduate research projects.  Money is always an issue, and we don't have enough money to buy a real growth chamber or to build a growth room.  I remember seeing some wire shelving units used for growing Arabidopsis, but am having difficulty finding fluorescent fixtures to attach to them.  How many tubes per shelf would be best?  Does anyone have a source for fluorescent fixtures to recommend?  Recommendations for number/type of fluorescent and/or nonfluorescent bulbs to use?  We only plan to build one or two shelf units to use in our lab room, so we are not planning any special cooling or ventilation.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Best regards,

Margaret Olney
Saint Martin's University