[Arabidopsis] Making Phenotypes Computable: Join the Phenotype RCN!

Eva Huala via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by huala from acoma.stanford.edu)
Wed Nov 24 18:08:10 EST 2010

Dear colleagues:

We are pleased to inform you that NSF has recently funded a Research
Coordination Network for researchers who are interested in searching and
comparing phenotypes across species and in developing the tools and
methods needed in making this possible (http://phenotypercn.org).  The
representation of morphology, behavior and other phenotypic features
using computational methods such as ontologies and controlled
vocabularies is in its infancy.  Integrating phenotypes with data across
all levels of the biological hierarchy, however, is possible if
standards are co-developed and coordinated.

This RCN envisions building a broad base of community knowledge and
resources so as to maximize the research potential of web-based data.
Funding for participation in meetings, presentations and laboratory
exchanges for students, postdocs and faculty from ontology and taxonomic
domains (initially plants, arthropods, and vertebrates) is available
through the RCN (see http://phenotypercn.org/opportunities/.

We are eager to have you join us!  Please sign up for our participant
and mailing lists for further information
(http://phenotypercn.org/participants/add/) and feel free to contact one
of the PIs (Paula Mabee, pmabee from usd.edu; Andy Deans,
andy_deans from ncsu.edu; Eva Huala, huala from acoma.stanford.edu; and Suzanna
Lewis, selewis from lbl.gov).