[Arabidopsis] Postdoctoral position in New Zealand on the model legume Medicago truncatula

Joanna Putterill via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by j.putterill from auckland.ac.nz)
Wed Oct 20 23:54:02 EST 2010

Postdoctoral position available in flowering-time control in the model legume Medicago truncatula. University of Auckland, New Zealand.
Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral position supported by the Marsden Fund to study the control of flowering time in the model legume Medicago truncatula in the laboratory of Joanna Putterill at Auckland University, New Zealand. We have a strong interest in flowering time control and our past research has concentrated on genes that control Arabidopsis flowering. Here, we wish to investigate the modulation of flowering by winter cold (vernalisation) in Medicago, as vernalisation is not well understood at the molecular level in any eudicot apart from Arabidopsis. We have recently established Medicago in our lab and will use available mutants, molecular genetics and genomics tools to characterise genes that control flowering in Medicago. The applications of such research are to provide tools to breed or design plants with customized flowering time, and we have collaborative links to groups working to control flowering in crops.
Highly motivated candidates with a PhD in plant molecular biology, plant genetics or molecular biology and a strong interest in plant functional genomics are encouraged to apply. Previous demonstrated expertise with plant molecular biology techniques, gene expression analysis, statistical analysis of expression datasets, handling large-scale sequencing data sets and plant phenotyping is a plus. The candidate should be able to work independently and also as a team player. Preference will be given to candidates with evidence of publications. The position is for 2.5 years and is available immediately.
For further information, please contact Associate Professor Joanna Putterill (j.putterill from auckland.ac.nz<mailto:j.putterill from auckland.ac.nz>) and see http://www.bioscienceresearch.co.nz/staff/jo-putterill/, For further information about Plant Molecular Science Research in Auckland and what makes Auckland a nice place to live see http://www.molecular-plants.auckland.ac.nz/.
To apply, please send your full C.V. and a brief statement of previous research experience and motivation for this position, as well as the contact information (including email addresses and phone numbers) of two - three referees to Associate Professor Joanna Putterill (by email is preferred: j.putterill from auckland.ac.nz<mailto:j.putterill from auckland.ac.nz>).
Associate Professor Joanna Putterill
Flowering Lab
Plant Molecular Sciences
School of Biological Sciences
University of Auckland
Private Bag 92010
Auckland
New Zealand
j.putterill from auckland.ac.nz<mailto:j.putterill from auckland.ac.nz>