[Arabidopsis] Graduate Research Assistantships at South Dakota State University

Subramanian, Senthil via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by Senthil.Subramanian from sdstate.edu)
Sat Apr 23 08:44:08 EST 2011

Two graduate research assistantship (assistantship + reduced tuition) posit=
ions (one Ph.D, one M.S) are open in Dr. Subramanian=92s lab<http://www.sds=
tate.edu/index/directory/directory-detail.cfm?view=3Ddetail&ci=3D2579> in t=
he Department of Plant science, SDSU, Brookings, SD to qualified and motiva=
ted candidates.

Symbiotic root nodule formation in legumes (bean-family of plants) is a fas=
cinating example of a beneficial plant-microbe interaction. Nodules capable=
 of fixing atmospheric nitrogen result from the interaction between legumes=
 and rhizobia bacteria in the soil. Plants activate a multitude of signalin=
g pathways both at the cellular level and whole plant level upon recognitio=
n of a compatible rhizobial species, leading to a sequence of physiological=
 events ultimately resulting in functional nodules. My lab=92s research int=
erests include studying the exchange of signal molecules between the plants=
 and rhizosphere microbes (Subramanian et al., 2004<http://www.springerlink=
.com/content/k253380476772417/>, 2006<http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jo=
urnal/118565225/abstract>, 2007<http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tplants.2007.06=
.006>; Zhang et al., 2008<http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/121404=
218/abstract>), understanding the role of microRNAs<http://en.wikipedia.org=
/wiki/MicroRNA> in regulating auxin action during nodule development (Subra=
manian et al., 2008<http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/9/160>) and stud=
ying signaling mechanisms governing nodule and lateral root development. My=
 lab is interested in studying the symbiotic interaction between soybean an=
d Bradyrhizobium japonicum as a model system. The recent completion of soyb=
ean genome<http://www.phytozome.net/soybean.php> sequencing and the importa=
nce of soybean as a major crop in the United States make it an attractive m=
odel to study nodule development and rhizobial symbiosis. In addition to th=
e enhancement of scientific knowledge and scholarship, this research has ec=
onomic and environmental benefits since symbiotic nitrogen fixation in legu=
me root nodules alleviates the use of chemical fertilizers.

If interested in graduate student opportunities in the lab, please send me =
a detailed CV, statement of research interests and contact details (phone, =
email) for at least two professional references. For information about grad=
uate studies in the Department of plant science, SDSU see these links: Plan=
t Science graduate program<http://www.sdstate.edu/ps/grad/index.cfm>, SDSU =
graduate school<http://www.sdstate.edu/admissions/graduate/index.cfm>. Inte=
rnational students see additional admission requirements<http://www.sdstate=
.edu/admissions/graduate/admission-requirements.cfm>.

Sen Subramanian
Email: Senthil.Subramanian from sdstate.edu<mailto:Senthil.Subramanian from sdstate.e=
du>
Phone: 605-688-5623
Fax: 605-688-4452