[Arabidopsis] FW:

caroline dean (JIC) via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by Caroline.Dean from bbsrc.ac.uk)
Thu Feb 17 06:20:58 EST 2011

Two 3-year European Research Council-funded post-doctoral positions are available immediately in the Dean group at the John Innes Centre, Norwich. These individuals will join a team analysing aspects of vernalization and flowering time in Arabidopsis (http://www.jic.ac.uk/staff/caroline-dean).

An early step in the vernalization process is the up-regulation of non-coding transcripts to the floral repressor gene, FLC. This is followed by a cold-induced accumulation of a modified Polycomb Response Complex 2 (PRC2) at one site in the large intron (nucleation event). This PRC2 complex is associated with three different PHD proteins and results in a progressive increase in H3K27me3 at the nucleation site. At a certain point the accumulated H3K27me3 causes the locus to flip into an epigenetically silenced state. One of the new appointments will continue analysing the role of the non-coding RNAs in the silencing process, whereas the other will focus on the nucleation process including the role of the PHD proteins.

The applicants will require a PhD in genetics or molecular biology, good experience in genetics or molecular biology (but not necessarily with plant experience), demonstrable scientific success, good oral and written communication and excellent team-working skills.  Salary will be dependent on experience within the range £26,610 - £29,566.
Please contact Caroline Dean (caroline.dean from bbsrc.ac.uk) with expressions of interest.

Swiezewski, S., Crevillen, P., Liu, F., Ecker, J., Jerzmanowski, A., Dean, C. (2007) Small RNA-mediated chromatin silencing directed to the 3' region of the developmental regulator, FLC. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci 27, 3633-8
Baürle, I., Smith L, Baulcombe, D.C. Dean, C. (2007) Widespread role for the flowering time regulators FCA and FPA in RNA-mediated chromatin silencing Science 318: 109-112
Liu, F., Quesada, V., Crevillen, P., Baürle, I., Swiezewski, S., Dean, C. (2007) The Arabidopsis RNA binding protein FCA requires a Lysine Specific Demethylase 1 homologue to down-regulate FLC. Molecular Cell 28:398-407.
De Lucia F Crevillen, P., Jones AM, Greb, T. Dean C (2008) A PHD-Polycomb Repressive Complex 2 triggers the epigenetic silencing of FLC during vernalization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 105(44):16831-6
Manzano, D., Marquardt, S., Jones, A.M.E., Bäurle, I., Liu, F.and Dean, C. (2009) Altered interactions within FY/AtCPSF complexes required for Arabidopsis FCA-mediated chromatin silencing. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci USA 106(21):8772-7.
Geraldo, N., Bäurle, I., Kidou S-K., Hu, X. And Dean, C. (2009) FRIGIDA delays flowering in Arabidopsis via a co-transcriptional mechanism involving direct interaction with the nuclear cap binding complex. Plant Physiol. 150(3):1611-8.
Swiezewski, S., Liu, F., Magusin, A. and Dean, C. (2009) Cold-induced silencing mediated by long antisense RNA from a Polycomb target. Nature. 462: 799-802.
Liu F, Marquardt, S., Lister C., Swiezewski, S., Dean, C. (2010) Targeted 3' processing of antisense transcripts triggers Arabidopsis FLC chromatin silencing Science.  327: 94-97.

------ End of Forwarded Message