[Arabidopsis] BAR News, 14 June 2011: faster service and new data sets

Nicholas Provart via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by nicholas.provart from utoronto.ca)
Tue Jun 14 12:38:45 EST 2011

Dear Arabidopsis Researchers,

We've moved back to a revamped server after several months of running the
BAR on a temporary server. As such, eFP and other queries at
http://bar.utoronto.ca will be noticibly faster.

1. Our Arabidopsis Interactions Viewer now contains 17,856 new membrane
protein-protein interactions from Wolf Frommer's MIND database at
associomics.org.
2. Try our new Guard Cell eFP Browser and Seed Coat eFP Browser, based on
data from the Assmann and Schroeder Labs, and on data from George Haughn's
lab at UBC soon to be published by Dean et al. in Molecular Plant,
respectively.
3. BAR Expressologs: we have computed the most likely expressolog
(expression homolog) for most genes across 6 plant species, based expression
profile similarity in the gene expression developmental atlases available
for these species. An expressolog icon will appear at the top of the eFP
output pages - click on the icon if it is not greyed out to see a combined
sequence and expression pattern similiarity tree for homologs to your gene
of interest in these species.

Please like us on Facebook if you like the changes: we've made it easier to
do so by just clicking the like button on the BAR homepage or on eFP Browser
pages - hopefully this will help us secure more stable funding for the BAR!
Look for a BAR brochure in your registration packages if you are attending
the ICAR meeting in Madison. We'll also be at the ASPB Plant Biology meeting
in Minneapolis in August.

Thanks to Hardeep Nahal (1,2,3), Joe Wu (1), Rohan Patel (3), Larissa Ramsay
(2), Sally Assmann (2) and Maik Boehmer (2) for feedback and help in
creating these tools.

Best,

Nick

Nicholas Provart, PhD
Associate Professor, Plant Cyberinfrastructure & Systems Biology
Director, Graduate Program in Genome Biology and Bioinformatics
Chair, Bioinformatics SC, Multinational Arabidopsis Steering Committee
Member, North American Arabidopsis Steering Committee
Member, Centre for the Analysis of Genome Evolution and Function
Rm 3051, Dept. of Cell and Systems Biology, Uni. Toronto
25 Willcocks St., Toronto, ON. M5S 3B2. CANADA

Tel. (+1) (416) 978-7141, Fax. (+1) (416) 978-5878
URL. http://www.csb.utoronto.ca/faculty/provart-nicholas
The Bio-Array Resource. http://www.BAR.utoronto.ca
email. nicholas.provart from utoronto.ca
TTC. Spadina LRT, Willcocks St.