[Arabidopsis] Re: A question about biotin treatment to plant seedlings

Ming Zhang via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by mingzhang from lbl.gov)
Sun Mar 20 16:33:12 EST 2011

On Mar 17, 9:58 am, Xi Chen <c... from iastate.edu> wrote:
> Hello researchers,
>
> Sorry to bother you, I have a question about how soon Arabidopsis seedlings
> will respond to the biotin treatment. For example, I will treat my
> Arabidopsis seedling samples with biotin starvation for a while, and add
> biotin into it to see how the transcriptional profile changes. But I don't
> know how to pick the treatment timing, 30 min or 1 hr. Do you have any
> suggestion or comments for this. Thank you so much!
>
> Best,
>
> Xi

Dr Xi,

You can also reference microarray data to get the idea of the time
course of heat treatment. Gene Expression Browser (http://
expressionbrowser.com/) provides a simple way to look up the changes
of Arabidopsis responses to biotin treatment. For example, heat 5 min
at http://expressionbrowser.com/arab/displayPair.jsp?id=2096193, heat
30 min at http://expressionbrowser.com/arab/displayPair.jsp?id=2096195
and heat 120 min at http://expressionbrowser.com/arab/displayPair.jsp?id=2096197.
We can see some genes increased 25-fold after 5-min treatment.

You can also cross-check RNASeq expression signals using Gene
Expression Browser after you finish your deep sequencing experiments.

Ming Zhang