[Arabidopsis] >71, 000 new T-DNA insertions from re-sequenced SALK lines

Ronan OMalley via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by ronan.omalley from gmail.com)
Thu May 5 16:06:14 EST 2011

Hi all-

We have developed a novel next-gen sequencing methodology for large scale
indexing of T-DNA collections that we have named TDNA-Seq.   We have applied
TDNA-Seq to resequence the SALK T-DNA collection- since most every T-DNA
insertion line has more than one insertion. We recovered 118,552 T-DNA
insertions of which 71,162 are new insertions.  Importantly, there are
current 10,200 genes with no insertion in any of the T-DNA collections. We
now have recovered at least one insertion for 4,260 of these missing genes
(so these are ones of very high value) out of a total of 34,000 new gene
inserts.

These new insertions are being validated, homozygous mutants identified and
the lines are being deposited with ABRC (and NASC).   The full list is
available at http://signal.salk.edu/TDNA-Seq/ as well as a README for an
explanation of the file contents. If you are planning to create or screen
for a mutation in a specific gene you may want to check this list as these
new inserts will become available in the coming months from ABRC as we
validate them.  Also the method is being applied to all of the other
deposited T-DNA lines in order to saturate gene space with T-DNA inserts.  A
 poster  will be presented showing the method and results at ICAR meeting in
Madison this June.

Happy hunting,

Ronan O'Malley (Ecker lab)
Genomic Analysis Laboratory