[Arabidopsis] PEG & Drought

Tobias Baskin via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by baskin from bio.umass.edu)
Sun May 15 09:43:10 EST 2011

Gaston,
	You need to measure water potential. You start by measuring
the potential of the PEG solution. THen as your treatment progresses
you need to measure the water potential of the leaves (or whatever
organ you are interested). This will depend entirely on the growth
conditions (transpiration rate, etc) and plant genotype. You can make
relative comparisons without measuring water potential, but to relate
it to other studies and to actual stress levels, you need to measure
the water potential.

	Hope this helps,
			Tobias Baskin

>Hi All
>
>I have found some papers that use PEG 6000 in theirs drought studies
>but I could
>not find an explanation about how to correlated PEG concentration with drought
>severity. Any comment is more than welcome
>
>Gaston

      /  \   /          / \    /   \ \        Tobias I. Baskin
     /   /  /          /   \   \      \         Biology Department
    /_ /   __      /__ \   \       \__    611 N. Pleasant St.
   /      /          /       \   \       \        University of Massachusetts
  /      /          /         \   \       \	    Amherst, MA, 01003
www.bio.umass.edu/biology/baskin
Voice: 413 - 545 - 1533 Fax: 413 - 545 - 3243