[Arabidopsis] Methyl methanesulfonate instead of EMS?

Joshua Mylne via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by j.mylne from imb.uq.edu.au)
Fri Oct 28 00:51:52 EST 2011

Dear Arab-gen,

Has anyone tried using methyl methanesulfonate instead of EMS in classical Arabidopsis seed mutagenesis? If so, what did you find were the most common bases changes and also, what sort of dose did you find was an equivalent concentration to EMS?

There is plenty of evidence MMS is a suitable mutagen for Arabidopsis (e.g. Redei 1982 Mutation Research 99:243) and one important report that looked at point mutations in whole plants (Kovalchuk et al. 2000 EMBO J 19:4431) said MMS causes bases conversions and transversions, so creates a more diverse set of changes than EMS.

I would appreciate any comments about the use of MMS in Arabidopsis seed mutagenesis. I need to generate a more diverse set of amino acid changes than EMS as the typical G to A change has a limited spectrum of changes it can make and certain amino acids (e.g. Phe, Ile, Lys, Asn, Tyr) are immune.

Thanks,

Josh

----
Dr Joshua S. Mylne