[Arabidopsis] Promoter for leaf-specific overexpression

Julie C Caruana via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by jcsulliv from syr.edu)
Fri Sep 2 15:44:04 EST 2011

Hello everyone,

Can anyone suggest a promoter which can be used to drive overexpression of a gene in leaves, but not in flowers? I am currently studying a gene which causes floral defects leading to sterility when overexpressed, so I cannot use the 35S promoter. I'm interested in long-term effects of high level expression of this gene, so I'd prefer to use a leaf-specific promoter rather than an inducible system. I know there are plenty of genes that are expressed to high levels in leaves, but in this case it is also very important that the gene is NOT expressed in flowers. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thank you,

Julie Caruana
Ph.D. Candidate
Syracuse University