[Arabidopsis] Medicago Bioinformatics Workshop

Town, Christopher D. via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by cdtown from jcvi.org)
Fri Sep 16 14:55:04 EST 2011

We will hold our second informatics and annotation workshop at the J. Craig Venter Institute in Rockville, MD from October 26-28, 2011. It is expected that participants will arrive on Tuesday October 25 and leave in the afternoon or early evening of Friday October 28 (a Saturday departure is also possible). The workshop will cover all aspects of the bioinformatics processes and analyses used to assemble and annotate a plant genome with hands-on experience wherever possible, focusing in this case on the Medicago truncatula genome. A draft schedule is attached; a good number of talks will be presented by domain experts via the WebEx facility. One goal of the workshop is to provide momentum for our community annotation effort and applicants interested in curating their own gene families, especially large ones, are encouraged to apply. The workshop is supported by our NSF Plant Genome grant and all expenses of US participants will be covered. Applications should be sent to mtruncatula from jcvi.org  with the applicant's family name and the word WORKSHOP in the subject line and include a c.v., a statement of research interests and, in the case of graduate students and post-docs, a letter of support from their mentor that can be sent separately. Attendance will be limited to 20 people and it is unlikely that we will accept two individuals from the same institution. Screening of applicants should be complete by September 30 in time to make cost-effective travel plans

Chris Town
Professor
The J. Craig Venter Institute
9704 Medical Center Drive