[Arabidopsis] UPDATE - ASEE/NSF Small Business Postdoctoral Fellowship Program

Tedd Elich via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by tedd.elich from grassrootsbio.com)
Tue Sep 20 15:43:54 EST 2011

Seeing that the application process takes time, if you are interested in, or are in the process of, applying for this position, I would suggest contacting me by email. I can assess your potential fit for this position and streamline the application process.
Tedd Elich

As an active National Science Foundation (NSF) Phase II Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) participant, GrassRoots Biotechnology is eligible to participate in a new postdoctoral research fellowship program funded by the NSF and administered by the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE).  The program will place 50 creative and highly-trained recent recipients of doctoral degrees in STEM-related disciplines supported by the NSF for one-year periods.   It is hoped that at least one-third of the fellowship recipients will be from underrepresented groups defined as women, persons with disabilities, African Americans, Hispanics, American Indians, Alaska Natives and Pacific Islanders. The fellowship recipient will receive a one-year stipend of $75,000 plus health insurance.

The successful applicant will work to expand GrassRoots novel promoter discovery pipeline, developed in our Phase II STTR research, to monocot systems. Activities include generating high resolution, tissue-specific expression datasets in maize and Setaria viridis using Laser Capture Microdissection (LCM) and RNA-seq. Additional activities could include contributing to the bioinformatic analysis of the resulting data to identify promoter and cis element candidates, and helping to develop Setaria viridis as a platform for monocot expression element characterization. Promoter candidates will be tested using both transient expression assays and stable expression characterization. The successful candidate is expected to make significant intellectual contributions to experimental design and analysis. Publications and grant applications are strongly encouraged. GrassRoots Biotechnology is an early stage Biotechnology company with a strong research focus and a stimulating scientific environment.

Please visit the NSF/ASEE website at http://nsfsbir.asee.org/ for further details and to apply for this position.