[Arabidopsis] Postdoc Opportunity in Strawberry

Folta, Kevin M. via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by kfolta from ufl.edu)
Sun Aug 5 12:56:43 EST 2012

Seeking Postdoctoral Scientist
University of Florida

Project:   Two main research areas:

1. Functional evaluation of novel, fruit-specific genes in strawberry using transgenic plants.  This objective will involve generating transgenic materials and their analysis.

2. Evaluation of fruit-specific promoters in transgenic strawberry and via agro infiltration of fruits.

Both projects are significantly advanced to guarantee a "plug-n-play" project initiation.

When:  November 1, 2012, with some flexibility

Upsides: 1. You'll work with the University of Florida Plant Innovation Program, a group of scientists using genomics, molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, breeding, analytical chemistry and human sensory profiling to improve fruit characteristics.  There will be many opportunities for comprehensive training.

2.  We have a rapid transformation system that allows in planta validation of gene function and gene discovery.

3. Projects could easily expand into your own independent research program (specialty crops are hot!).

Downside:  This is an industry-funded position and has a duration of one year.  The contract may be renewed if sufficient progress is made.  Both our lab and the industry partner are eager to develop a long-standing relationship.  We seek a talented, high-energy, highly-motivated scientist for this position.

Desired skills:  The ideal candidate will be fluent in molecular cloning, use of the Gateway system is a plus.  Tissue culture and gene expression analysis experience is important.  Other useful skills will be experience in analysis of GC/MS data, evaluation of fruit traits (brix, color, firmness, etc), plant physiology and development.  Leadership and ability to work as part of a team are absolutely required.

This is a HOT opportunity for someone that wants to position themselves at the novel, new edge of gene discovery and application in an emerging model specialty crop system..

Send a CV and cover letter to  Kevin M. Folta, kfolta from ufl.edu<mailto:kfolta from ufl.edu>

Kevin M. Folta Ph.D., Associate Professor, Horticultural Sciences Department
Graduate Advisor, Plant Molecular and Cellular Biology
1301 Fifield Hall, Gainesville, FL 32611

352-273-4812 (office)           352-272-4813 (laboratory)
www.arabidopsisthaliana.com<http://www.arabidopsisthaliana.com/>         www.kevinfolta.com<http://www.kevinfolta.com/>

Don't tell me that it can't be done. Tell me how you are going to help me do it.