[Arabidopsis] In Memoriam: Simon Chan

Jacobsen, Steve via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by jacobsen from ucla.edu)
Fri Aug 24 10:27:18 EST 2012

Dear Colleagues:

It is with great sadness that I write to report the death of our colleague,=
 Simon Chan.  Simon, 38, passed away on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 after a =
brief illness.  He is survived by his parents, Avril and Robert Chan, and s=
ister, Caron Chan.

Simon was one of the most talented, honest, and kind individuals that I hav=
e had the pleasure of working with.  Simon spent several years in my labora=
tory as a postdoctoral fellow and left a huge imprint on our lab, our scien=
ce, and our lives.

Simon was also one of the most promising young plant biologists of his gene=
ration.  In June 2011, Simon was among the first plant scientists selected =
for the inaugural class of investigators funded jointly by HHMI and the Gor=
don and Betty Moore Foundation to support innovative research in the plant =
sciences, and he was also the youngest recipient, consistent with the fast =
trajectory of his research career. Simon used Arabidopsis and other plants =
to understand how chromosomes are inherited during cell division. He discov=
ered ways to dramatically speed up the breeding of plants for desirable tra=
its and developed new plant-breeding tools by manipulating the properties o=
f genetic inheritance.

Simon received his B.SC. from the University of Auckland in New Zealand, hi=
s Ph.D. from the University of California, San Francisco, and carried out h=
is postdoctoral research at UCLA.  He joined the faculty of the Department =
of Plant Biology in the College of Biological Sciences at UC, Davis in 2006=
.

Simon was honored with several awards, including the American Society of Pl=
ant Biology Early Career Award and a Basil O=92Connor Starter Scholar Award=
 from the March of Dimes.  He was an HHMI Predoctoral Fellow from 1997-2002=
 and a Life Sciences Research Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow from 2003 to 2=
006.

Simon will be remembered for his scientific brilliance, lively spirit, and =
contributions to promoting plant science.

Steve Jacobsen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Dept of MCD Biology
Terasaki Life Sciences Building
610 Charles E. Young Dr. East
University of California, Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA 90095-7239
Office: 310 825-0182    Lab: 310 206-3336
http://www.mcdb.ucla.edu/Research/Jacobsen/LabWebSite/index.html