[Arabidopsis] Yellowing seedlings on MS

Tobias Baskin via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by baskin from bio.umass.edu)
Mon May 28 20:17:40 EST 2012

Hi Pablo,
	In my experience, full strength MS should be considered a
stress. I suggest trying half strength. I realize that probably you
have been growing your plants on 1 x MS for "years" with no problem
but if something now is causing some other stress, then the two of
them together could be synergizing.
	And on this subject, when I was first getting into growing
arabidopsis, we tried + vs - vitamins and in our conditions found
absolutely no effect of the vitamins. So we leave them out. It has
always puzzled me what they are supposed to be doing. Are they really
taken up? Don't plants make enough of their own? (But I don't think
the vitamins could be hurting your seedlings, just making a comment).
	As ever
		Tobias

At 10:09 AM -0400 5/28/12, Pablo JENIK wrote:
>Dear Colleagues,
>
>I'm looking for clues in solving a growing problem (no pun intended).
>When we grow our Arabidopsis (a variety of genotypes) on standard MS
>plates (1x MS, 1% sucrose, 1x Gamborg's vitamins), the seedlings look
>yellow-green instead of bright green, and the cots seem to curve down.
>Seedlings growing on soil side-by-side with those growing on the
>plates (same growth chamber, same lights) look fine. Any ideas about
>what may be going on and how to solve it?
>
>Thank you very much,
>
>Pablo
>
>--
>Pablo Jenik
>Assistant Professor
>Department of Biology
>Franklin and Marshall College
>P.O. Box 3003
>Lancaster, PA 17604-3003
>(717) 358-4431

      /  \   /          / \    /   \ \       Tobias I. Baskin
     /   /  /          /   \   \      \         Professor
    /_ /   __      /__ \   \       \__     Biology Department
   /      /          /       \   \       \         611 N. Pleasant St.
  /      /          /         \   \       \	       University of
Massachusetts
/      / ___   /           \   \__/  \ ____ Amherst, MA, 01003
www.bio.umass.edu/biology/baskin
Voice: 413 - 545 - 1533 Fax: 413 - 545 - 3243