[Arabidopsis] Whether different mutantions of the same gene can display different phenotypes?

Bernd Weisshaar via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by weisshaa from cebitec.uni-bielefeld.de)
Sun Oct 21 06:01:16 EST 2012

Dear Shengchun,

different (mutant) alleles from the same gene can have VERY different phenotypes. A "silent" point mutation (e.g. a SNP at a wobble position) may have no effect at all, a change in one amino acid codon can have very different effects depending on the type of change in the aa and the affected position, and t-DNA insertions can have very different effects depending on the exact structure of the insertion allele. You may want to search for "allelic series" in Google or at PubMed.

Bests, Bernd

On 20.10.2012, at 11:15, 张盛春 <sfwang from scnu.edu.cn> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I want to know if the mutations are alleles of the same gene, whether the mutants can show different phenotypes?
> If anyone has read some references or knowed several genes about this, please let me know. Thank you very much.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Shengchun
>
> Shengchun Zhang, Ph.D.
> College of Life Science
> South China Normal University
> Guangzhou, China, 510631
> Email:zhangspringest from yahoo.com.cn<http://cn.mc157.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=zhangspringest@yahoo.com.cn>
> 15989204318(M)

Bielefeld University, Department of Biology
Prof. Dr. Bernd Weisshaar
Chair of Genome Research / Lehrstuhl fuer Genomforschung
Universitaetsstrasse 25
33615 Bielefeld
Germany

Office: G0-102
Tel.: +49-521-106-8721
Fax: +49-521-106-6423
genomforschung from uni-bielefeld.de (Secretary)
website: http://www.genomforschung.uni-bielefeld.de/