[Arabidopsis] PhD student and Post-doc positions open in the Wood Development Group (PI: Ykä Helariutta [Academy Professor]), University of Helsinki

Sedeer El-Showk via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by sedeer.elshowk from helsinki.fi)
Wed Sep 12 06:32:38 EST 2012

We are searching for applicants to carry out research in two areas:

(1) Symplastic communication. We have recently identified extragenic
suppressor mutations for a gain-of-function allele of Callose Synthase
3 (CalS3) locus (Vaten et al. Dev Cell 21:1144-55). We believe these
mutations provide an interesting entry point for understanding how
callose regulates cell-to-cell movement of developmental signals
through plasmodesmata.

(2) Secondary phase of vascular development during root development in
Arabidopsis. We are investigating how cytokinin regulates cambial
development (Mähönen et al. Science 311:94-98; Nieminen et al. PNAS
105:20032-7). We have identified new components as an entry point both
based on genetic screens and microarrays.

Applicants should send 1) a cover letter describing previous
achievements, future career ambitions and motivation for this
position; 2) Curriculum vitae with a list of publications and contact
information of two referees to email address:
yrjo.helariutta-at-helsinki.fi.

The deadline for applications is September 30th, 2012. However, the
position can be filled earlier if a suitable candidate is found.

For more information, please feel free to contact Professor Helariutta:

e-mail: Yrjo.Helariutta-at-helsinki.fi
phone: +358 (9) 19159422
http://www.biocenter.helsinki.fi/bi/Helariutta/
http://www.helsinki.fi/eng/