[Arabidopsis] Plant Bioinformatics Workshop at JCVI

Town, Christopher D. via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by cdtown from jcvi.org)
Tue Apr 2 13:23:21 EST 2013

We will hold our next Plant Bioinformatics Workshop at the J. Craig Venter Institute in Rockville, MD from July 15-19, 2013. This year we are extending the workshop to a full 5 days to allow more time for hands-on exercises as well as specific interactions with JCVI personnel on your own research
The first morning of the workshop will be an introduction to Unix and command line operations. Attendees with some familiarity with Unix could opt out of this session. The remainder of the workshop will cover all aspects of the bioinformatics processes and analyses used to sequence, assemble and annotate a plant genome using the Medicago truncatula genome as a model.  This will include command line tools, genome assembly and annotation, RNA-seq assembly and analysis and comparative genomics. There will be hands-on exercises throughout the week using NexGen sequence data whenever appropriate.
We will feature presentations from a number of guest speakers with domain expertise who will present either in person or from a remote location using the WebEx Conference system.
Please refer to attached draft schedule.
The workshop is supported by our NSF Plant Genome grant and all expenses of US participants will be covered.  It is expected that participants will arrive on Sunday July 14 and leave either in the evening of Friday July 19 or the morning of Saturday July 20. The workshop has been scheduled to immediately precede the ASPB meeting in Providence RI making it possible to combine both events into your schedule if desired
Applications should be sent to mtruncatula from jcvi.org<mailto:mtruncatula from jcvi.org> with the following details:

 1.  Applicant's family name and the word WORKSHOP in the subject line
 2.  A c.v., a statement of research interests and, in the case of graduate students and post-docs, a letter of support from their mentor that can be sent separately.
Attendance will be limited to 20 people and it is unlikely that we will accept two individuals from the same institution.
Screening of applicants will begin on May 1st and should be complete by May 15 at which time individuals will be contacted to make travel arrangements.
We also plan to make the entire workshop accessible via WebEx to allow participation by individuals who are unable to attend in person. Details will be available later.

Chris Town
Professor
The J. Craig Venter Institute
9704 Medical Center Drive