[Arabidopsis] How many genes are transcribed?

howie newick via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by howie.newick from gmx.net)
Tue Apr 9 03:07:01 EST 2013

   Dear colleagues,
   I was recently thinking about the active vs the inactive part of the
   transcriptome. I would be very interested to get an idea of the
   percentage of genes that is actually actively transcribed at any stage
   of development. I could make an educated guess and speculate that
   maybe 60-70% of the genes are being transcribed (on average), but has
   this been ever quantified?
   Although error-prone, one approach may be to look at microarray data
   and use certain intensity cutoffs. But again, these cutoffs are
   arbitrary ...

   I would greatly appreciate ideas from the community.
   Thank you very much in advance,

   Howie