[Arabidopsis] PhD Student Position

Holt, Ben F. III via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by benholt from ou.edu)
Thu Feb 21 14:47:31 EST 2013

The Holt Lab at the University of Oklahoma in the Department of Microbiology and Plant Biology seeks a PhD student starting in the Fall 2013 semester (start time may be during summer).
PhD Student Requirements: Students must have a completed undergraduate degree in plant biology, molecular biology, or a related discipline at the time of admission to OU. Experience in plant molecular biology techniques, experimental design, and other relevant areas will be viewed favorably. The successful applicant may be a US or foreign citizen, but absolutely must have excellent English communication skills, including both comprehension and spoken English. Your motivation for graduate studies is an essential element of our selection process - what are your goals for attending graduate school, why would our research be a good fit for you, and what skills do you see yourself bringing to our team? The successful candidate will be compensated by a combination of graduate research (GRA) and teaching (GTA) assistantships.
Our Research: Our current projects focus on the roles of transcription factors in development and stress responses. This includes an NSF CAREER funded project (from March 2012 to 2017) examining the roles of NUCLEAR FACTOR Y transcription factors during the initiation of flowering in the model plant Arabidopsis thaliana.
For more information about the lab, please see our website:
http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/H/Ben.F.Holt.III-1/
The University, Department, and Town: The University of Oklahoma (OU) is a Research I university with approximately 30,000 students. OU is located in Norman, Oklahoma - a very safe, mid-sized city (pop. ~120,000) with small town charm and low cost of living. In addition to the university, Norman has a vibrant and growing arts/music culture, many fine restaurants, and other typical amenities associated with nice university towns. Norman is located just 15 minutes south of Oklahoma City, which includes a large airport, NBA team, and other city attractions.
Application Process: Interested students are STRONGLY encouraged to contact Dr. Ben Holt prior to applying (benholt from ou.edu<mailto:benholt from ou.edu>). All applicants must submit applications to both the department and Graduate College. Information on this process can be found at:
http://mpbio.ou.edu/masters-and-phd
 The University of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity institution
www.ou.edu/eoo<http://www.ou.edu/eoo>
_________________________________
Ben Holt
Associate Professor
University of Oklahoma
Department of Microbiology and Plant Biology
GLCH Room 219
770 Van Vleet Oval
Norman, OK 73019
Phone (405)325-9018