[Arabidopsis] question on At treatment duration for microarray comparison

Smith Chiang via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by chiangscn from gmail.com)
Wed Jan 2 08:58:39 EST 2013

Hello, At researchers,

I want to use microarray to compare the differentially expressed genes
between mutant and wildtype Arabidopsis seedling growing in Petri
dishes. The mutant showed evident difference in response low
phosphorus treatments in 7 d compared to WT (before that,  both wt and
mutant grew on MS normal medium for 4 d). So I want to first grow wt
and mutant seeds in MS medium for 4 days and then transfer into
phosphorus starvation medium for a few days too. To identify the
differential genes between wt and mutant, how many days should I let
the wt and mutant seedlings grow in low phosphorus medium before
harvested for RNA extraction? Is 7d in Pi starvation medium ok for
microarray detection of both direct and indirect target genes?

Thanks for your reply,

Smith