[Arabidopsis] qualifications of "greenhouse gardeners"

Joel Stafstrom via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by Stafstrom from niu.edu)
Mon Oct 14 16:15:10 EST 2013

October 14, 2013
Dear Arabidopsis Community,
My question does not relate to Arabidopsis directly but, I believe, it
is relevant to the plant research community in general.
Due to the untimely death of the sole fulltime greenhouse gardener in
our department, we need to refill this position.  Our greenhouses are
used for research plants and for our teaching collections.   The total
area for plant growth, head houses and storage is about 5000 square
feet.  The current job description for the gardener requires only an
associate’s degree in horticulture or other relevant training.  To
improve the facility, the “greens” in our department want to upgrade the
qualifications for the position and, consequently, the paygrade.  To
justify this to the university administration, it would be very helpful
to know about comparable jobs at peer institutions.  Any information you
can provide regarding greenhouse personnel would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much, Joel
Joel Stafstrom
Department of Biological Sciences
Northern Illinois University