[Arabidopsis] Re: Cheap Silwet L-77 alternative

thevoivod311 from gmail.com via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by thevoivod311 from gmail.com)
Fri Aug 29 05:07:42 EST 2014

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:15:15 PM UTC+2, Linda Robles wrote:
> I am looking into ordering a cheaper source of VAC-IN-STUFF Silwet L-77.
>
>  There are various websites selling in much larger quantities.  Has anyone
>
> tried using these sources for Arabidopsis transformation?  Does it work
>
> well?  Thank you in advance.
>

> Have a wonderful day,
>
> Linda Robles

Dear Linda,

I have obtained (as sample) silwet gold from Spiess Urania (http://www.spiess-urania.com/), which from the specs should be very similar to silwet L77. The silwet gold has slightly less % of the detergent. It gave similar transformation frequency compared to silwet L77. In agriculture this is used in large amount for spraying crops and could perhaps also be obtained through the suppliers of the soil(s) used by your greenhouse facility. I had to go for a sample package since normally this is sold in large quantities (minimal 6x1L)

best wishes,

Eric van der Graaff