[Arabidopsis] plastid in pollens

Tobias Baskin via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by baskin from bio.umass.edu)
Tue Feb 18 08:19:28 EST 2014

James,
	 Above all you have to distinguish between the presence of
plastids and the inheritance of plastids. My understanding is that
the vegetative pollen cell always (almost always?) has plastids
(indeed you mention good evidence but there is more). But lineages
differ in plastid inheritance. I gather that both biparental and
unipartental species exist, and that the uniparental can go either
way, although presumably maternal inheritance is more common. There
are various mechanisms, which are things like excluding plastids from
sperm and actual breakdown of the plastid genomes. In short, I think
the inheritance part is quite complex and maybe not so well
understood. But the presence of plastids in the vegetative pollen
cell I think is widespread if not ubiquitous.

	As ever
		Tobias

>Hi,
>I want to know if pollen cells also have plastids? Some references said "no
>plastids", and some said "no functional plastids". Textbook said that
>chloroplast genome is from the egg.
>So, if no, or no functional, plastids, in pollens, how could people do
>plant cell culture or even embryomorphogenesis from pollen cells?
>I got confused.
>Can anyone help?
>Thanks.
>SL

      /  \   /          / \    /   \ \       Tobias I. Baskin
     /   /  /          /   \   \      \         Professor
    /_ /   __      /__ \   \       \__     Biology Department
   /      /          /       \   \       \         611 N. Pleasant St.
  /      /          /         \   \       \	       University of
Massachusetts
/      / ___   /           \   \__/  \ ____ Amherst, MA, 01003
www.bio.umass.edu/biology/baskin
Voice: 413 - 545 - 1533 Fax: 413 - 545 - 3243