[Arabidopsis] Plant Bioinformatics Workshop at JCVI

Benjamin Rosen via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by bdrosen from gmail.com)
Thu Mar 6 09:44:08 EST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

Applications to our Plant Bioinformatics Workshop at the J. Craig Venter
Institute are due by March 15th.  If you are interested in attending please
submit your applications by then.

For more information read below or check our website:
http://www.jcvi.org/medicago/workshop.php

We will hold our next Plant Bioinformatics Workshop at the J. Craig Venter
Institute in Rockville, MD from June 16-20, 2014. We introduced an extended
5-day format in 2013 to allow more time for hands-on exercises as well as
specific interactions with JCVI personnel on your own research
The first morning of the workshop will be an introduction to Unix and
command line operations. Attendees with some familiarity with Unix could
opt out of this session. The remainder of the workshop will cover all
aspects of the bioinformatics processes and analyses used to sequence,
assemble and annotate a plant genome using the Medicago truncatula genome
as a model.  This will include command line tools, genome assembly and
annotation, RNA-seq assembly and analysis and comparative genomics. There
will be hands-on exercises throughout the week using NexGen sequence data
whenever appropriate.
We will feature presentations from a number of guest speakers with domain
expertise who will present either in person or from a remote location using
the WebEx Conference system.
Please refer to attached draft schedule.
The workshop is supported by our NSF Plant Genome grant and all expenses of
US participants will be covered.  It is expected that participants will
arrive on Sunday June 15 and leave either in the evening of Friday June 20
or the morning of Saturday June 21.
Applications should be sent to mtruncatula from jcvi.org<mailto:
mtruncatula from jcvi.org><mailto:mtruncatula from jcvi.org> with the following
details:

1.  Applicant's family name and the word WORKSHOP in the subject line
2.  A CV, a statement of research interests and, in the case of graduate
students and post-docs, a letter of support from their mentor that can be
sent separately.
Attendance will be limited to 20 people and it is unlikely that we will
accept two individuals from the same institution.
Screening of applicants will begin on March 15 and should be complete by
March 31 at which time individuals will be contacted to make travel
arrangements.
We also plan to make the entire workshop accessible via WebEx to allow
participation by individuals who are unable to attend in person. Details
will be available later.
You can find any updates on our website:
http://www.jcvi.org/medicago/workshop.php