[Arabidopsis] directing a transmembrane protein to the plasma membrane

Anna Stepanova via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by atstepan from ncsu.edu)
Mon Apr 11 08:13:26 EST 2016

Dear colleagues,

I am looking for information regarding targeting a transmembrane protein to
the plasma membrane. We are working with a plastidic envelope protein from
which we removed the N-terminal transit peptide with the goal to target the
truncated protein to the plasma membrane (to do transport studies).  The
transit-peptideless protein, however, does not reach the plasma membrane,
but rather gets stuck in the ER, making our transport studies impossible.
Is there a plasma-membrane localization sequence that can be added to the
transmembrane protein (equivalent to the CAAX sequence for anchoring
soluble proteins to the membrane) that would target the recombinant protein
to the plasma membrane (in plants and in yeast)? Any thoughts on how to
redirect an ER-stuck membrane protein to the plasma membrane would be
appreciated.

Thank you,

Anna Stepanova