[Arabidopsis] #PlantSciJobs and #PlantSciPhD hashtags

Lisa Martin via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by lisaamartin1 from gmail.com)
Fri Nov 4 09:27:44 EST 2016

To all who use social media and/or who post job/PhD advertisements:

The Global Plant Council has recently initiated the Twitter/Facebook hashtags #PlantSciJobs and #PlantSciPhD - whenever we come across a new plant science-related job or PhD opportunity, we tweet the URL and a short description, and add the respective hashtags to the post.

These hashtags are ‘clickable’ and ‘searchable’, so if someone is looking for a new job or PhD position, all they have to do is click or search for it in Twitter or Facebook (or even Google), and voila! A list of links to relevant jobs appears!

For those who use social media (and there are lots!), we think this makes it much easier for people to find relevant jobs - often, the titles of ads on science job sites don’t reveal what kind of postdoc or professor (etc) the recruiting institution is looking for, so you'd have to scour through the full descriptions of lots of jobs in completely irrelevant fields.

A few plant science departments and organizations have adopted our hashtags (the Boyce Thompson Institute and the Society for Experimental Biology are a few we’ve noticed) so the trend is growing, which is great for job seekers! At the GPC (@GlobalPlantGPC), we share any jobs or opportunities we are told about directly, or which we come across on various mailing lists, social media feeds and a few other sources, but we couldn’t possibly share them all, so if you or your departments use social media, we encourage you to use these hashtags!

Thanks and kind regards,

Lisa

(PS: Please also continue to use these mailing lists for your announcements - not everyone is a Twitter convert! But I do encourage you, where possible, to include a URL to your job ad in your message, as this makes it much easier to share online.)

Lisa Martin
Outreach & Communications Manager
Global Plant Council
Bow House
1a Bow Lane
London
EC4M 9EE
UK

lisa from globalplantcouncil.org <mailto:lisa from globalplantcouncil.org>
www.globalplantcouncil.org <http://www.globalplantcouncil.org/>
@GlobalPlantGPC <http://www.twitter.com/GlobalPlantGPC>
+44 (0) 7716 164682