[Arabidopsis] Outcome of 2016 NAASC election results

Joanna Friesner via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by jdfriesner from ucdavis.edu)
Sat Oct 1 14:19:53 EST 2016

The results of the 2016 community election of two new NAASC members (to
replace retiring members Siobhan Brady and Keiko Torii) are:

1. Peter McCourt, University of Toronto (Canada)
2. Roger Innes, Indiana University (USA)

Thanks to the nearly 500 North American Arabidopsis comment members that
participated in nomination and voting this year.

A special thanks is due to the 37 nominees from the US, Canada and Mexico
that agreed to stand for the election to this important role of
representing the North American Arabidopsis community (all nominees that
agreed to stand for election are listed at the bottom of this email).
Peter and Roger will be the co-chairs for ICAR 2020, expected to be back
in the US after next year's meeting in St. Louis that will be
NAASC-organized.

NAASC invites you to join the 2017 International Conference on Arabidopsis
Research (ICAR 2017) which will be held in St. Louis, Missouri from June
19-23, 2017, and is co-chaired by Rick Vierstra and Doris Wagner of NAASC.

This next year's meeting is a great opportunity to connect with the
international community in a convenient location, where costs will be
reasonable enough to send students and post-docs as well, and we'll have
dorm space at Washington University in St. Louis for students and
postdocs, with regular lodging at the Hyatt (conference site, by the St.
Louis Arch).

*Early in 2017 check the ICAR 2017 website where we'll be announcing NAASC
ICAR 2017 funding opportunities for US scientists in two categories:
(1) US Early Career Researcher (ECR) Travel Awards: we expect to award
around 30 travel awards to partially defray participation in ICAR 2017 by
US students, postdocs, and junior faculty.  Must be US citizens or
permanent residents.
(2) US Under-Represented Minority (URM) Full Funding Awards: we expect to
award around 20 full funding awards (economy travel, registration,
conference lodging) to US researchers that are in the URM categories of:
African American, Native American, Hispanic American (of Central or South
American descent), Native Pacific Islanders, OR faculty of any background
that teach plant biology at HBCUs/MSIs/TCUs. Must be US citizens or
permanent residents; exception can be made for faculty teaching at
HBCUs/MSIs/TCUs.

The deadlines aren't finalized but they're typically first week of March.
Please check back with me after the New Year for website information
and/or you can forward this information to students/postdocs/jr faculty
and URMs, and ask them to follow-up with me about applying.

I hope to see you in St. Louis next June (we'll have our conference party
hosted at the Danforth Plant Science Center, which recently renovated and
built a new beautiful wing).
Best,
Joanna Friesner
--
Joanna Friesner Ph.D.
NAASC Coordinator

**2016 Nominees that agreed to stand for election to NAASC**
Peter McCourt, University of Toronto (Canada)
Roger Innes, Indiana University (USA)
Federica Brandizzi, MSU DOE Plant Research Laboratory (USA)
Julie Law, Salk Institute (USA)
Ben Holt,University of Oklahoma (USA)
Lucia Strader, Washington University in St. Louis (USA)
Patrick Masson, University of Wisconsin (USA)
Ljerka Kunst, University of British Columbia (Canada)
Michael Neff, Washington State University (USA)
Daniel Szymanski, Purdue University (SA)
Stewart Gillmor, LANGEBIO-CINVESTAV (México)
Kim Gallagher, University of Pennsylvania (USA)
G. Eric Schaller, Dartmouth (USA)
John McDowell, Virginia Tech (USA)
Shinhan Shiu, Michigan State University (USA)
Meng Chen, University of California, Riverside, UCR (USA)
Albrecht von Arnim, University of TN, Knoxville (USA)
John Celenza, Boston University (USA)
Adrienne Roeder, Cornell University (USA)
Christine Queitsch, University of Washington (USA)
Keith Slotkin, Ohio State University (USA)
Yunde Zhao, University of California, San Diego, UCSD (USA)
Brian Gregory, University of Pennsylvania (USA)
Cris Argueso, Colorado State University (USA)
Dmitri Nusinow, Donald Danforth Plant Science Center (USA)
Sue Gibson, University of Minnesota (USA)
Darrell Desveaux, University of Toronto (Canada)
Marcela Rojas-Pierce, North Carolina State University, NCSU (USA)
Takato Imaizumi, University of Washington (USA)
Bin Yu, University of Nebraska, Lincoln (USA)
Aaron Rashotte, Auburn University (USA)
Allan Showalter, Ohio University (USA)
Olena Vatamaniuk, Cornell University (USA)
Zonglie Hong, University of Idaho (USA)
Imara Perera, North Carolina State University (USA)
Joe Ogas, Purdue University (USA)
Jesus Beltran, University of Nebraska (USA)