[Arabidopsis] Until Sept 13: Accepting nominations to serve a 5 year term on the North American Arabidopsis Steering Committee (NAASC)- Online election will follow

Joanna Friesner via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by jdfriesner from ucdavis.edu)
Mon Sep 4 15:17:38 EST 2017

Hi there,

Nominations for the NAASC online election ballot are being accepted until Sept. 13.
NAASC = the North American Arabidopsis Steering Committee.
See below for the information on NAASC and duties of elected members.
Please note that ONLY North American Arabidopsis researchers may nominate to NAASC, and serve on NAASC.

The two individuals elected this cycle will serve a 5-year term (2017-2022) on NAASC.

**I emailed individualized links to the online nomination page on Wednesday August 30***
If you do not find an email from me (sender was: jdfriesner from ucdavis.edu via surveymonkey.com <member from surveymonkeyuser.com>) from August 30 and you want to nominate yourself or one or more north American colleagues:
(1) check your junk mail /spam/clutter folder for the email from me (jdfriesner from ucdavis.edu via surveymonkey.com)
(2) if it's not there, please reply to me (jdfriesner from ucdavis.edu) and provide your email address and I will add it to the online email/voting list.

**You may also email nominations to me directly** If you want to take part in the election next month, I'll need to add you to the email list. You can opt out of the email list at any time, including immediately after voting!

**What is NAASC?**
https://www.araport.org/community/group/naasc
NAASC members are volunteer, elected, North American members of the Arabidopsis community that serve five year terms in support of community efforts and resources and provide North American representation to the international Arabidopsis community.

***Only Arabidopsis researchers in North America can nominate, vote, and serve***

For example, NAASC serves as the organizing body of the Arabidopsis conference (ICAR) once every three years and organized ICAR 2017 this past June in St. Louis, Missouri.
The next NAASC-organized ICAR will be in North America in 2020 (location tbd).

IMPORTANTLY FOR THIS ELECTION: the 2 elected NAASC members will serve on NAASC from 2017 to 2022, and participate on the ICAR 2020 organizing committee, which will be co-chaired by Peter McCourt and Roger Innes and assisted by two "vice chairs".
The ICAR 2020 vice chairs will be the two NAASC members **elected next year, in 2018**

***NAASC Duties***
NAASC members may be called upon to provide input and leadership into new initiatives such as the NAASC-led effort in the 2015-funded NAASC Research Coordination Network Award entitled: Arabidopsis Research and Training for the 21st century (ART-21) (http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1518280)

A general outline of grant-related duties that NAASC members will lead can be found at NAASC's webpage hosted by Araport under "NAASC Activities" (https://www.araport.org/community/group/naasc)

In addition to organizing ICARs every 3 years, primary NAASC duties currently involve fulfilling the objectives of the NAASC NSF RCN grant (listed above). Past key activities that NAASC has taken a lead role in developing are the International Arabidopsis Informatics Consortium (IAIC) and Arabidopsis Information Portal (Araport).

***Service on the NAASC is important for the North American community, and in representation to the international community, and highly appreciated. ***

Following the nomination period, there will be an online election of those nominees that have confirmed their willingness to serve on NAASC.

Current NAASC officers listed in order of most to least seniority on NAASC:
Sarah Assmann (Penn State)
Erich Grotewold (Michigan State University)
Rick Vierstra (Washington University- St Louis)
Doris Wagner (University of Pennsylvania)
Jose Dinneny (Carnegie)
Liz Haswell (Washington University- St Louis)
Roger Innes (Indiana University)
Peter McCourt (University of Toronto)

NAASC 2017 Election Timeline
(1) Nomination deadline: Sept. 13.
(2) Nominees will be confirmed by NAASC after Sept. 14.
(3) Online Survey Monkey election consisting of the subset of nominees who have been confirmed willing to serve: Sept 22-Oct. 6.
(4) Top two vote-getters will be confirmed by NAASC after Oct. 6.
(5) New NAASC members announced approximately Oct. 20 via Survey Monkey and the Arab-gen list-serve.

(If you have any questions, please email me- Joanna Friesner at jdfriesner from ucdavis.edu)
Thanks,
Joanna
--
Joanna Friesner Ph.D.