[Arabidopsis] Faculty Opportunities at University of Toronto Scarborough - Dept of Biological Sciences - Plant Biology

Dan Riggs via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by riggs from utsc.utoronto.ca)
Wed Sep 20 19:25:48 EST 2017

Hi All:

Sorry for the double post but the formatting of Joanne's advertisements
deleted some words and fused sentences.  Proper advert below (hopefully!).

*Two Assistant Professors in Plant Biology (UTSC-17-09 & UTSC-17-10)*

*University of Toronto Scarborough*

The Department of Biological Sciences, University of Toronto Scarborough
invites applications for two tenure-stream appointments, one in the area
of *Plant Stress Biology* and the other in the area of *Plant Systems
Biology*. The appointments are at the rank of Assistant Professor and
will commence on July 1, 2018.

Applicants must have a PhD in plant biology or a related field, and at
least one year postdoctoral experience relevant to the position. The
successful candidates’ research and teaching interests will complement
existing strengths in the Department, which include plant-environment
interactions at individual, population or ecosystem levels, and
evolutionary, ecological, physiological, biochemical, molecular
genetics, and genomic approaches. Ideal candidates will also be
interested in biotechnological approaches to plant improvement using
both model genetic and agriculturally important species.

*Plant Stress Biology. *Candidates will demonstrate expertise in
mechanisms by which plants respond and acclimate to abiotic stress. The
successful candidate will take an integrative approach, combining
molecular, biochemical and physiological analyses to elucidate how
plants both sense and respond to their environment. Candidates studying
signal transduction and/or metabolic acclimations in response to stress
are also encouraged to apply .

*Plant Systems Biology. *Candidates will take a systems approach to
fundamental aspects of plant growth and development, such as protein,
RNA and/or gene regulatory networks.The successful candidate will have
extensive expertise in the use of –omics technologies and the ability to
apply computational methods to large data sets.

The successful applicants will be expected to conduct innovative
research at the highest international level and to establish an
outstanding, externally funded research program. They will have a record
of excellence in research, as demonstrated by publications in top-ranked
and field-relevant academic journals, presentations at significant
conferences, awards and accolades, and strong endorsements by referees
of high international standing. The successful candidates will also have
a strong commitment to excellence in teaching at both the undergraduate
and graduate level and to graduate student training and
supervision.Evidence of commitment to excellence in teaching will be
demonstrated through teaching accomplishments, strong letters of
reference and the statement of teaching philosophy submitted as part of
the application. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and
experience.

The University of Toronto is an international leader in biological
research and education and the Department of Biological Sciences enjoys
strong ties to other units within the University. The successful
candidate will be expected to participate actively in the Graduate
Department of Cell and Systems Biology at the University of Toronto
(http://csb.utoronto.ca/), to maintain an active research program
centered at the University of Toronto Scarborough, and to foster and
facilitate inclusivity while working in one of Canada's most diverse
institutions.At UTSC, the new faculty members will be able to interact
with a Plant Cell and Molecular Processes research group and have access
to several multi-user facilities such as for plant growth,
start-of-the-art imaging or analytical analyses. The new faculty will
also have access to the Centre for Analysis of Genome Evolution and
Function in the Department of Cell and Systems Biology
(http://www.cagef.utoronto.ca).

All qualified candidates are invited to apply by clicking on this link
<https://utoronto.taleo.net/careersection/10050/jobdetail.ftl?job=1701530>.
Applications must include a CV, statements of research and teaching
interests and three representative publications. Submission guidelines
can be found at: http://uoft.me/how-to-apply. We recommend combining
attached documents into one or two files in PDF/MS Word format.

Applicants should also arrange that letters of reference (on letterhead,
signed and scanned)from at least three referees familiar with the
candidate’s research and teaching be emailed directly by the referee to:
biologygeneral from utsc.utoronto.ca <mailto:biologygeneral from utsc.utoronto.ca>.

Applications lacking reference letters will not be considered. If you
have questions about this position, please email
biologygeneral from utsc.utoronto.ca <mailto:biologygeneral from utsc.utoronto.ca> .

All materials must be received by December 4, 2017.

Further information on the research and teaching activities of the
department can be found at http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/~biosci/
<http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/%7Ebiosci/>.

/The University of Toronto is strongly committed to diversity within its
community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons /
persons of colour, women, Indigenous / Aboriginal People of North
America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may
contribute to the further diversification of ideas./

/As part of your application, you will be asked to complete a brief
Diversity Survey. This survey is voluntary. Any information directly
related to you is confidential and cannot be accessed by search
committees or human resources staff. Results will be aggregated for
institutional planning purposes. For more information, please see
//http://uoft.me/UP//.” /

/All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians
and permanent residents will be given priority./