[Arabidopsis] Re: Similar phenotype in overexpression and knockout

Charles S Gasser via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by csgasser from ucdavis.edu)
Thu Apr 5 13:44:46 EST 2018

We found similar phenotypic effects on ovule development from over/ectopic expression and loss of function for Class III HDzip genes.  We believe that these genes act in opposition to other genes and disruption of a balance in either direction leads to similar phenotypic effects.  We published this explanation:

Kelley, D. R., Skinner, D. J., and Gasser, C. S.  (2009) Roles of polarity determinants in ovule development. Plant J. 57: 1054-1064.
doi: 10.1111/j.1365-313X.2008.03752.x
 Hope this is useful.  At least you could reference that such a thing has been previously observed.

Chuck Gasser

在 2010年5月3日星期一 UTC-3上午9:01:31,Ido Kron写道:
> I am puzzled that both over-expression and knockout of the kinase that I am
> working on result in the same phenotype (a reduction in the expression of
> several putative target genes, compaired with wild-type plants.) Does anyone
> know of other cases when over-expression and knockout mutations of a gene
> result in similar phenotypes.
>
> Thank you very much,
> Ido Kron
> The Hebrew University of Jerusalem

Hello Dr. Kron,

I am faced with the same situation as you posted here. May you tell me how you interpret your data finally?

Thanks in millions,
Arthur

Charles S. Gasser
Professor Emeritus